You Are Not Alone: A Mental Health Awareness Month panel
About this Event
"Nearly 450 million people worldwide are currently living with a mental illness, yet nearly two thirds of people with a known mental illness never seek treatment." -- AADA.org
"After the last two years of pandemic living, many people are realizing that stress, isolation, and uncertainty have taken a toll on their well-being." -- MHANational.org
Join Barnes & Noble as we welcome Robin Benway, Kathleen Glasgow, Adib Khorram & Emily X.R. Pan for a live, virtual event for Mental Health Awareness Month with a panel discussion of their moving YA projects, the inspiration and research behind their work, all things mental health, and further reading recommendations that will show that you are not alone.
Order your copies of the panelists' books now!
- Robin Benway's A YEAR TO THE DAY (on-sale June 21, 2022) -- the National Book Award-winning and New York Times bestselling author of Far from the Tree returns with a story of love, loss, and sisterhood reminiscent told in reverse chronological order. Leo can’t remember what happened the night of the accident. All she knows is that she left the party with her older sister, Nina, and Nina’s boyfriend, East. And now Nina is dead, killed by a drunk driver and leaving Leo with a hole inside her that’s impossible to fill. As the days tumble one into the next, Leo’s story comes together while her world falls apart. How can she move on if she never knows what really happened that night? And is happiness even possible in a world without Nina?
- Kathleen Glasgow's GIRL IN PIECES (out now)-- Charlotte Davis is in pieces. At seventeen she’s already lost more than most people do in a lifetime. But she’s learned how to forget. The broken glass washes away the sorrow until there is nothing but calm. You don’t have to think about your father and the river. Your best friend, who is gone forever. Or your mother, who has nothing left to give you. A deeply moving portrait of a girl in a world that owes her nothing, and has taken so much, and the journey she undergoes to put herself back together. Glasgow's newest novel, The Agathas (a thriller), goes on-sale May 3, 2022.
- Adib Khorram's KISS & TELL (out now) -- Hunter never expected to be a boy band star. He and his band Kiss & Tell are on their first major tour of North America. Hunter is the only gay member of the band, and he just had a very painful breakup with his first boyfriend—leaked sexts, public heartbreak, and all—and now everyone expects him to play the perfect queer role model for teens. But Hunter isn't really sure what being the perfect queer kid even means. When The Label finds out about Hunter and Kaivan, the drummer for the band opening for K&T on tour, it spells trouble—for their relationship, for the perfect gay boy Hunter plays for the cameras, and, most importantly, for Hunter himself. Khorram is also the author of the William C. Morris Debut Award-winning, Darius the Great is Not Okay (out now).
- Emily X.R. Pan's THE ASTONISHING COLOR OF AFTER (out now) -- A Time Magazine 100 Best YA Books of All Time Selection: Leigh Chen Sanders is absolutely certain about one thing: When her mother died by suicide, she turned into a bird. Alternating between real and magic, past and present, friendship and romance, hope and despair, this book is a stunning and heartbreaking novel about finding oneself through family history, art, grief, and love. Pan's newest novel, An Arrow to the Moon, is Romeo and Juliet meets Chinese mythology and on-sale April 12, 2022.
- Regine Galanti PhD's ANXIETY RELIEF FOR TEENS (out now) -- Dr. Regine Galanti teaches teens how CBT-based skills and mindfulness techniques can help them manage their anxiety and reverse negative patterns. Through simple and effective exercises that help teens change their thoughts, behaviors, and physical reactions, this helpful guide gives teens the tools they need to navigate all of life's challenges.
- This is a live, free event. Registration is required to attend.
- Each registration must have a different email associated with it to gain entry. Please be sure your correct email is listed when you register and that your Eventbrite settings include updates on this event.
- This event will air as a Zoom Webinar. You must be logged into Eventbrite with the email in which you registered the ticket to access the event. We highly recommend you create an Eventbrite account, as well as download Zoom & familiarize yourself prior to the event for the best possible experience.
- Access to the event will become available on the afternoon of the event, Thursday, May 12, at 7 PM ET / 6 PM CT / 5 PM MT / 4 PM PT.
- Access to the event will become available via:
- The OPEN IN ZOOM (highly recommended) or JOIN NOW buttons in your Eventbrite account (found under “Tickets” --> “Go to online event page”) OR your event ticket confirmation email.
- You will receive reminder emails from Eventbrite before the event. You may also access the event through the reminder email, HOWEVER YOU MUST BE SIGNED INTO EVENTBRITE WITH THE EMAIL IN WHICH YOU REGISTERED THE TICKET.
- You may be asked to re-enter the email in which you purchased this ticket to re-validate.
- Disruptive Conduct: Barnes & Noble wants to create a safe virtual space for all. You acknowledge and agree that Barnes & Noble reserves the right to remove you from the Virtual Event if B&N, in its sole discretion, determines that your participation or behavior create a disruption or hinder the Virtual Event or the enjoyment of the Virtual Event content by other attendees.
- Recording, Live Streaming, and Videotaping. Participants may not record or broadcast audio or video of Barnes & Noble Virtual Events.
Please note that Eventbrite is the only authorized dealer for this event. Each person must be registered to enter.
We cannot guarantee a replay of the program. Please keep this in mind before registering for a ticket.
Event guidelines are subject to change.
Join Barnes & Noble for future virtual events! See our upcoming line-up here.
Connect with usFacebook Instagram Twitter
Add to calendar