Juno Dawson celebrates HER MAJESTY'S ROYAL COVEN -- our June Monthly Speculative Fiction Pick -- with Maureen Johnson
About this Event
If you look hard enough at old photographs, we’re there in the background: healers in the trenches; Suffragettes; Bletchley Park oracles; land girls and resistance fighters. Why is it we help in times of crisis? We have a gift. We are stronger than Mundanes, plain and simple...
Join Barnes & Noble as we welcome bestselling novelist and screenwriter, Juno Dawson, for a live, virtual discussion of our June Speculative Fiction Monthly Pick, HER MAJESTY'S ROYAL COVEN, the first in an epic fantasy trilogy about a group of childhood friends who are also witches – and members of a covert government department protecting the world from supernatural forces. It's A Discovery of Witches meets The Craft, a provocative exploration of gender and power, friendship and feminism or as the author likes to say: “Spice Girls but they’re witches.”
She will be in conversation with Maureen Johnson, the bestselling author of several novels, including 13 Little Blue Envelopes and the Truly Devious series.
Don't forget to order a copy of the book before the event!: https://bit.ly/3tBhM1s
- This is a live, free event. Registration is required to attend.
- Each registration must have a different email associated with it to gain entry. Please be sure your correct email is listed when you register and that your Eventbrite settings include updates on this event.
- This event will air as a Zoom Webinar. You must be logged into Eventbrite with the email in which you purchased the ticket to access the event. We highly recommend you create an Eventbrite account, as well as download Zoom & familiarize yourself prior to the event for the best possible experience.
- Access to the event will become available on the evening of the event, Tuesday, June 21, at 6 PM ET / 5 PM CT / 4 PM MT / 3 PM PT.
- Access to the event will become available via:
- The OPEN IN ZOOM (highly recommended) or JOIN NOW buttons in your Eventbrite account (found under “Tickets” --> “Go to online event page”) OR your event ticket confirmation email.
- You will receive reminder emails from Eventbrite before the event. You may also access the event through the reminder email, HOWEVER YOU MUST BE SIGNED INTO EVENTBRITE WITH THE EMAIL IN WHICH YOU PURCHASED THE TICKET.
- You may be asked to re-enter the email in which you purchased this ticket to re-validate.
- Disruptive Conduct: Barnes & Noble wants to create a safe virtual space for all. You acknowledge and agree that Barnes & Noble reserves the right to remove you from the Virtual Event if B&N, in its sole discretion, determines that your participation or behavior create a disruption or hinder the Virtual Event or the enjoyment of the Virtual Event content by other attendees.
- Recording, Live Streaming, and Videotaping. Participants may not record or broadcast audio or video of Barnes & Noble Virtual Events.
Please note that Eventbrite is the only authorized dealer for this event. Each person must have a ticket to enter.
We cannot guarantee a replay of the program. Please keep this in mind before registering for a ticket.
Event guidelines are subject to change.
Join Barnes & Noble for future virtual events! See our upcoming line-up here.
ABOUT HER MAJESTY'S ROYAL COVEN:
At the dawn of their adolescence, on the eve of the summer solstice, four young girls—Helena, Leonie, Niamh and Elle—took the oath to join Her Majesty's Royal Coven, established by Queen Elizabeth I as a covert government department. Now, decades later, the witch community is still reeling from a civil war and Helena is the reigning High Priestess of the organization. Yet Helena is the only one of her friend group still enmeshed in the stale bureaucracy of HMRC. Elle is trying to pretend she's a normal housewife, and Niamh has become a country vet, using her powers to heal sick animals. In what Helena perceives as the deepest betrayal, Leonie has defected to start her own more inclusive and intersectional coven, Diaspora. And now Helena has a bigger problem. A young warlock of extraordinary capabilities has been captured by authorities and seems to threaten the very existence of HMRC. With conflicting beliefs over the best course of action, the four friends must decide where their loyalties lie: with preserving tradition, or doing what is right.
Juno Dawson explores gender and the corrupting nature of power in a delightful and provocative story of magic and matriarchy, friendship and feminism. Dealing with all the aspects of contemporary womanhood, as well as being phenomenally powerful witches, Niamh, Helena, Leonie and Elle may have grown apart but they will always be bound by the sisterhood of the coven.
Connect with usFacebook Instagram Twitter
Add to calendar