Anthony Marra discusses MERCURY PICTURES PRESENTS our August #BNBookClub selection
About this Event
**ONE OF THE MOST ANTICIPATED BOOKS OF 2022—BookPage**
MERCURY PICTURES PRESENTS is an epic tale of a brilliant woman who must reinvent herself to survive, moving from Mussolini's Italy to 1940s Los Angeles—a timeless story of love, deceit, and sacrifice from the award-winning, New York Times bestselling author of A Constellation of Vital Phenomena.
**This event will be streamed live from Anthony Marra's Barnes & Noble Union Square appearance.
Anthony Marra will be joined in the discussion by Shannon DeVito, Director of Category Management at B&N and Miwa Messer, Editorial Director at B&N.
PLEASE NOTE: There will be spoilers at this book club event!
**Have a question for the discussion? Leave one at registration and it could possibly be answered live!
- This is a live, free event. Registration is required to attend.
- Each registration must have a different email associated with it to gain entry. Please be sure your correct email is listed when you register and that your Eventbrite settings include updates on this event.
- This event will air as a Zoom Webinar. It will not air on the Eventbrite site itself.
- You must be logged into Eventbrite with the email in which you purchased the ticket to access the event. We highly recommend you create an Eventbrite account, as well as download Zoom & familiarize yourself prior to the event for the best possible experience.
- Access to the event will become available on the evening of the event, Thursday, September 8 at 7 PM ET.
- Access to the event will become available via:
- The OPEN IN ZOOM ( highly recommended) or JOIN NOW buttons in your Eventbrite account (found under “Tickets” --> “Go to online event page”) OR your event ticket confirmation email.
- You will receive reminder emails from Eventbrite before the event. You may also access the event through the reminder email, HOWEVER YOU MUST BE SIGNED INTO EVENTBRITE WITH THE EMAIL IN WHICH YOU PURCHASED THE TICKET.
- You may be asked to re-enter the email in which you purchased this ticket to re-validate.
- Disruptive Conduct: Barnes & Noble wants to create a safe virtual space for all. You acknowledge and agree that Barnes & Noble reserves the right to remove you from the Virtual Event if B&N, in its sole discretion, determines that your participation or behavior create a disruption or hinder the Virtual Event or the enjoyment of the Virtual Event content by other attendees.
- Recording, Live Streaming, and Videotaping. Participants may not record or broadcast audio or video of Barnes & Noble Virtual Events.
Please note that Eventbrite is the only authorized dealer for this event. Each person must be registered to enter.
We cannot guarantee a replay of the program. Please keep this in mind before registering for a ticket.
Event guidelines are subject to change.
Join Barnes & Noble for future virtual events! See our upcoming line-up here.
About MERCURY PICTURES PRESENTS: A Novel:
Like many before her, Maria Lagana has come to Hollywood to outrun her past. Born in Rome, where every Sunday her father took her to the cinema instead of church, Maria immigrates with her mother to Los Angeles after a childhood transgression leads to her father’s arrest.
Fifteen years later, on the eve of America’s entry into World War II, Maria is an associate producer at Mercury Pictures, trying to keep her personal and professional lives from falling apart. Her mother won’t speak to her. Her boss, a man of many toupees, has been summoned to Washington by congressional investigators. Her boyfriend, a virtuoso Chinese American actor, can’t escape the studio’s narrow typecasting. And the studio itself, Maria’s only home in exile, teeters on the verge of bankruptcy.
Over the coming months, as the bright lights go dark across Los Angeles, Mercury Pictures becomes a nexus of European émigrés: modernist poets trying their luck as B-movie screenwriters, once-celebrated architects becoming scale-model miniaturists, and refugee actors finding work playing the very villains they fled. While the world descends into war, Maria rises through a maze of conflicting politics, divided loyalties, and jockeying ambitions. But when the arrival of a stranger from her father’s past threatens Maria’s carefully constructed facade, she must finally confront her father’s fate—and her own.
Written with intelligence, wit, and an exhilarating sense of possibility, Mercury Pictures Presents spans many moods and tones, from the heartbreaking to the ecstatic. It is a love letter to life’s bit players, a panorama of an era that casts a long shadow over our own, and a tour de force by a novelist whose work The Washington Post calls “a flash in the heavens that makes you look up and believe in miracles.”
About Anthony Marra:
Anthony Marra is the New York Times bestselling author of The Tsar of Love and Techno and A Constellation of Vital Phenomena, winner of the National Book Critics Circle’s John Leonard Prize and the Anisfield-Wolf Book Award, and longlisted for the National Book Award.
Connect with usFacebook Instagram Twitter
Add to calendar